12.06.2006

Jury Duty?

I've had the most interesting experience this week. Since Sunday, I've been in Denver at a grant-writing workshop presented by The Grantsmanship Center and sponsored by the State Scholars Initiative. (Utah Scholars is the Utah version of the SSI program). All of the other states participating in the Initiative are here as well... bringing a total of 21 people from various states around the country, not to mention various ages, races, socio-economic levels, education levels, etc... you name it!
I am the youngest person here by far... probably young enough to be the daughter of at least 70% of the people here. We meet from 8:30 to 5:30 each day, and have all lunches and dinners together. It's nice to be put up in the Westin, and nice that the conference is right downstairs in the hotel. However, today (day 4/5), while looking around the table at lunch and observing the various and varied conversations happening, I realized what this feels like... Jury Duty! But not just the mundane jury duty, rather the kind where the group is sequestered and has only the company of one another for an extended period of time. Like "12 Angry Men" or "Runaway Jury" or something. It's so interesting to be learning about different people... from the 'haves' to the 'have nots', from old to young, fat to skinny, from a Louisiana-bred Southern Belle to a South-Dakotan "dontcha knoow, eh", and today I even sat by a Vegetarian! It's like a different life, where these people are the only world you know, and since it's been a few days, it kinda feels like an alternate universe where this becomes your reality and normal life is hard to remember.
I just have to sit back and laugh - adults are so diverse! I'm lucky to have friends and family who I know will develop as cool people. Haha - there really is something to be learned from everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever been on a real jury duty? I haven't. Just curious. Hope you are having fun in Denver! Have you and Niki met up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be kinda fun to be called for jury duty...I may not feel that way if I actually were called, but whatev. I'm glad to hear your positive attitude about this whole thing, when we all know you would rather be at home with your new husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are very excited to get home to Ben! I don't think I would ever want to be on jury duty (although I do love to people watch)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go through jury selection before and I was more than thrilled to not be chosen as one of the twelve! Laur, I love the blog...please keep writing! It was so great to see you and I hope you will come back with your hubby the next time!

    ReplyDelete