1.01.2007

Fine Holiday Fun

Well, it's been a very eventful holiday break! Christmas with Ben's family (all 26 of them) and then a road trip up to Montana to spend New Year's weekend with my family. On the 9-hour drive north, Ben and I had a near-death experience. Passing a semi-truck on an icy road, our car slid off the highway and into the median - where we skidded sideways for about 100 yds, meanwhile snow was flying over the hood of the car and I felt as though I was dreaming, "this isn't happening!" Luckily, the median was snow-filled and very wide, the widest median I've ever seen in fact. We were very lucky. My heart was pounding 1,000 times a minute, and as soon as our car came to a halt, I looked over at Ben. "Are you ok? Are you freaked out?"- His response, "I'm fine." NOT even scared. Cool as a cucumber. Ahh! I was almost scared to death and he was completely fine. I swear I thought we were going to flip the Land Cruiser. We drove straight out of it too. (I'll never make that drive at night AGAIN!)


Since we've been here, lots of non-deathly fun activities. We went to play hockey down the street on Saturday, Ben's first time. (street roller hockey when he was 8 doesn't count). He was great! Just jumped right in. Here is a picture of him in action. (the one in the sweet T-Rex hockey jersey, back middle of the ice).


On New Year's we had a gingerbread house contest. Three teams, Mom/Dad, Tessa/Duffy, Me/Ben. Same size platter, same materials, and $50 to the winner. We'll email the pictures and let our certified judge, Taryn, decide. Here is ours- it took a LOT longer than it looks to have taken.


And then we rang in the new year... bubbly, poppers, hats, and those blow noisemakers. It was fun for about ten minutes. Then we realized how tired we were and went to bed. :)
Happy NEW YEAR everyone. Here's to a great 2007!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, I wish your pictures were working, I want to see the gingerbread houses. ;-)

    I am so glad you guys weren't injured on your driving incident and the car was fine too. Those moments are so horrifying for me too. Glad Ben kept his cool. My Ben gets way stressed in bad driving conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a very busy and fun holiday! I definitely would have freaked out with the car incident! I am looking forward to seeing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, send me the pictures already so I can judge! Yours looks pretty good! Can't wait for next year when we have a REAL Stimpson family Gingerbread House contest!

    P.s.--love that sweater on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you look DYNO in that sweater!!
    I'll send pics of you two out in front with the noisemakers on New Years - trying to wake the neighbors ( oh yeah, we don't have any).
    My turn to drive next.

    ReplyDelete