5.09.2007

Scholars banquet

The past week felt like a blur - not checking e-mail, not blogging, not chatting with friends... totally submerged.
Last night the Board of Regents hosted a banquet for all qualifying Utah Scholars seniors. For those of you who don't know, this is the initiative I've been working on for the past year. Usually I'm in the office or working with school officials and students, but this banquet gave me the chance to return to what I love - parties!

Working within a non-wedding budget, I had some constraints. I booked Culinary Crafts for the catering (after all, they are superb!) and decided that I would do the flowers myself instead of hiring a florist (that no one in the office would think is necessary, ala, "you need how much money for flowers??"). What I thought would be a few small centerpieces turned into 21 tables and more! I had a blast though and everything turned out wonderfully. Luckily nobody was too critical. Banquets are so much less stressful than weddings - and once the party started, there was nothing to worry about. The Commissioner of Higher Education spoke, along with an Assistant Secretary from the US Department of Education. How fabulous!

We got some great media coverage from KSL (open in internet explorer for video) and also the Deseret News. Click either to see/read. I'll have to post a few pictures that I took at the event.




















Tessa reminded me that there are 18 days left until her wedding - I'm excited! There are a few last-minute arrangements to be made, but unlike this banquet and Tessa's shower, I won't be the florist or the caterer, I'll be the boss!

7 comments:

  1. I watched the video and the flowers look great. I had my Jr. Prom in Rice-Eccles- aah the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun and exciting. you do so many things that youre so talented in. i cant wait to see pics. good luck, im sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi -- you don't know me but I happened upon your blog & wondered if you're related to Kathy Oviatt? Just curious -- she works with my mother-in-law, Ruth Pratt. I'm sure there's more than one Oviatt family in Utah... I think Kathy's fam lives in Layton or near there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara - yes - Kathy is my new mother-in-law. She is so great. And so is Ruth. I'll try to link back to your blog... I'm glad you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool you are doing that...you seem like you are definately in your element. (I remember how cute you and Niki would decorate your dorm room:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small world! I'm pretty sure Ruth told us about your wedding because we were in Utah for Thanksgiving & visited the showroom, etc... anyway, that's pretty funny. I don't know your in-laws at all, but my in-laws have known them FOREVER so they are always bringing up Oviatt stories at family dinners, etc. :) I'll tell you how I found your blog: I don't know how you're related to Lindsey and Josh, but I've been reading about their adoption (their blog) and I don't know them AT ALL either, BUT they have some connection with Mrs. Dub, another blogger who I actually DO know... well I grew up being friends with Mrs. Dub's older sister. So, that's the series of connections. How funny that you're a twin too :) Have a great weekend!! And congrats on getting married :)

    ReplyDelete