
If you've been keeping up with my darling sister's blog, you'd know that her husband Michael is working at the US Attorney's office this summer here in SLC. Most of his duties revolve around research, however, a perk of the position is his chance to attend 'real live' trials and court cases. Mike came home yesterday and told us about his day in court. Taryn and I were intrigued and (since we have so much free time on our hands at the moment) decided to sit in on the trial the next day.
We strode boldly downtown to the courthouse and, when we got in the courtroom, wow! how fascinating! We saw everything from the judge, to the stenographer, to the full jury, the crazy "I'm representing myself" defendant, and even a few US Marshalls (the crazy defendants watchmen) who Mike said, "could seriously mess you up."
We heard a few witness statements, cross-examinations, and the closing arguments. I don't have enough time to blog about this case, but if you're interested, read here or here. Basically, this man robbed a bank because he was trying to raise money to enable Utah, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana to secede in order to create it's own "White motherland." This white-supremacist, anti-goverment man, who resembled a smaller, skinnier version of the monopoly guy, said some of the craziest things I've heard in a long time (especially live), the most annoying of which was his repeated use of the word "irregardless."
The jury decided a guilty verdict in a record 12 minutes.
Taryn and I had the most interesting time, and, while we were there, I kept envisioning the above picture, which I'm so glad I found. Behind Elle, you'll see Mike, Taryn, and Moi! :)
Love the blog. the pic is exp hilar! wish I could have visited too.
ReplyDeleteClassic- I am actually surprised you didn't wear a pink power suit to the trial ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehow fun. i have always wanted to sit in on a trial also. i didnt know you could just go and do it. thats exciting!
ReplyDeleteI love hte picture! What a neat experience!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool!! I want to sit in on a trial now!!
ReplyDeletethats crazy! i would love to attend something like that someday. awesome picture :) i love that movie!
ReplyDeleteYou are darling, I don't know who you are, but I just read your trial blog. It's cute and made me laugh. (I have this recent hobby of reading random blogs-I clicked on yours from Heidi's).
ReplyDelete