4.09.2007

Lunch hour

Today, on a whim, I strode boldly down to the TRAX stop on my way to Temple Square. (I’m a novice, how do you Subway and Metro people do it?) Two stops down from my office at the Gateway, I found myself in the bustling downtown “City Center” where Zion’s Bank, Temple Square, and Main St. all intersect. I was so proud of myself! I walked into the lobby of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, and although on a quick errand downstairs, I had to pause in the lobby as I heard DeBussy’s “Clair De Lune” (Bellagio fountain song on Ocean’s Eleven) played by the littlest old lady on the piano. Looking up at those beautiful chandeliers – it was like a glimpse of heaven. What a treat!

After my errand, I walked outside, and with 40 minutes left on my break, I thought, “hey, I should walk back to work.” So I started off – and remembered that the Tabernacle had just been reopened – so I went inside for a moment. It is unbelievable in there! The organ pipes are larger than life. Really, the whole structure is magnificent. On my way out, I saw groups of sister missionaries visiting with folks and it reminded me of Hermana Lindsey. Here are a few pictures I took today.


Then, I started back with 5 long blocks to work. It was nice to breathe fresh air and have a bit more time away from the ‘cube-ie” at the office. After about 50 steps, I realized that I should reconsider my shoe choice before trekking like this again. But all in all, it was a lovely walk. As I passed the Delta Center, an old Hispanic gardener handed me a tulip he had just cut from the grounds. “because you are soo beautiful”. Silly old man. Maybe he didn’t realize he could lose his job for cutting up the flowerbeds. It made me laugh. But thanks to him, I now have a pretty red tulip floating in a bowl on my desk in my small cube–

What a funny and random lunch hour. I’m glad I stepped out for a bit to catch a glimpse of what’s out there. I feel sometimes like I’m on a never-ending cycle of wake, work, home, tv, sleep, wake, work, home…etc., and that makes life feel so dull. Today I was entertained for free – well, for a small fee of $1.87 (my diet coke).

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect lunch hour. I too am a novice to the trax so im proud of you for doing it! The pictures of the flowers are gorgeous. I am anxious to see the Tabernacle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. laur i agree with you on the way your life can be sometimes. its always nice to get outside and enjoy the weather! youre lucky its so beautiful there. were still in winter here unfortunately! anyway, just wanted to say hi and hopefully ill get to see you in a few weeks! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laur I agree it's nice to get out during work and feel like you are part of the world, even if it's just for an hour. I go downtown once a week for work and love walking around along the river and breathing the "fresh" air.

    Those tulips are so gorgeous! I heart the temple ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun lunch break!!! Yes, that's Mary Porter in the picture in my blog. She's in our ward.... small world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the pix, lauren. it makes me miss the mission of this "hermana lindsey." what a beautiful and unique place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, how are you? It's been way too long! Did you wedding go well? I got your invitation and meant to write you back a note of congratulations, but that didn't happen, so I'm glad I get to tell you know congratulations!

    I miss Utah especially when I see all those beatiful flowers.

    I hope you and Ben are happy. Bryan and I are enjoying New York, especially since we have good friends here like Kelli and Bryan.
    Also, I'm pregnant and expecting in September! We'll find out in 2 weeks if it's a boy or a girl. Can't really believe it. I'll have to introduce the little one to all the Propelle girls - who I hope are doing well.

    Write when you get a chance. Would love to hear from you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Misspellings all over the place ... first, "your" wedding and tell you "now"".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those gorgeous pictures made me home sick for temple square! You are such a darling "working woman!" I love it!

    ReplyDelete