3.04.2010

Waffles and Fries


A few weeks ago I was heading back to work from a doctor's appointment and, as it happens these days, hunger struck without warning. I wasn't in the mood for fast food and it wasn't really lunch time. Luckily I was driving through a downtown area where each block has at least one bakery/ pastry shop.

Score. I stopped into a tiny place off of Broadway and between 3rd and 4th west (right by Tony Caputo's and Cucina Toscana). The sign said "waffles and frites." It's no secret I love fries and the accompanying fry sauce/ketchup. Why not. I do what I want these days where my appetite is concerned. Correction: I do what baby tells me.

The gentleman inside was clearly the owner - (the shop is called Bruges and he was unmistakeably Belgian) - he recommended the carmelized 'gaufre' (waffle) and homemade creme fraiche (whipped cream). I've learned not to reject the house special. As he pulled the dough from the waffle press I thought, "Oh great, he burned it." Plus it looked small for $5. They packaged the waffle, some whipped cream, and strawberries/blueberries and I was on my way.

It was warm and I was hungry so I sat in my car and had a taste. What I experienced next was hard to put into words... how does one describe the beach at sunset? This waffle was unlike any so-called 'waffle' I'd ever tasted before. Warm, rich, cake-y, carmelized. Simply incredible. Unbelievable. And the creme fraiche: proverbial icing on the cake.

If you are within three hours driving distance from this bakery - make the trip. I promise you won't be disappointed. It will change the way you look at waffles. Find them online here: Bruges Waffles & Frites. They are only open 10-5 so plan accordingly. I have dreams about these waffles and can't wait for my next excuse to get downtown and treat myself to a little $5 piece of heaven. I hear they also have a chocolate-dipped waffle.

p.s. - think I left without trying the frites? you know me too well. I ordered a small cone of fries and they were VERY good. Fresh cut, double fried, but still perfectly soft and not crunchy, just the way I like them. The owner gives you your choice of 'dipping sauce' - a mayo menu of sorts. Very unique. I had the 'mammoth' - fry sauce with a kick. Delish.

8 comments:

  1. So Rob served his mission in Holland and Belgium and when he found out this place was opening, he got very excited. He has never found frites matching the ones he had in Belgium. So one day while at work, he and a few co-workers ventured over to try it. And he was not disappointed. We have since visited over and over. In fact when the kids find out we're going to SLC they ask can we please get some Belgian fries? Mmmm. Try all the mayos, I haven't found one I haven't liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go there. Think, you recommned people within 3 hrs to go there and I live ACROSS THE STREET and STILL haven't tried it. Thanks for the reminder of that! Hope you and baby are well. Let's get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny stuff, Lauren! It's funny how food becomes your best friend and worst enemy when you're prego. You made me laugh out loud. Thanks again for your help last night. We sure appreciate all you do. Tell Ben hello too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yummy!!! would it be worth it to fly there because that sounds really good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They also have one at the Canyon Resorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your baby has very strong influence over my baby. Every food you have posted about I have had to try. I love the pasta dish recipe! Also, I just had to have a waffle after reading your description, so I went and got one (with fries)... so AMAZING! Thank you for blogging about it. I have wanted to try that place for a while now.

    I will be in touch soon about bedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mouth is watering! wish I were there this weekend with you and momma and linds to try them. you better take them there!!! miss ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the same thing when I had my first real belgian waffle. There is a guy here who opened up shop a couple years ago and I've sampled them at a few different events. SOOO yummy!

    ReplyDelete