2.20.2007

I Hate

I don't like to think of myself as a negative person, but today I felt I should create a blog that would be filled with only daily annoyances. Traffic, idiot drivers, waterspots on clean dishes, etc. Today's post would be on the dreaded post office. It is a place that none of us can avoid.

I usually send my letters with stamps, and so forth, but there is that rare occasion where, I MUST go to the post office. Today I even tried to send a padded envelope through the office mail, obviously covered with too many stamps - but who wants to risk the almost certain chance that it will be returned due to 'lack of sufficient postage'... thus creating the need to visit the post office. Taryn, let me know if/when you get the envelope.

Today, I decided to brave the PO on my lunch hour, because the post office isn't open before work and it sure isn't open afterwards. I thought I was being clever in going after 1 pm... not so. Here's how it is at the post office in downtown SLC...

First of all, you have to take a ticket to get into the parking lot! yes, and if you're there longer than 30 minutes, you have to pay! Then, you have to brave the crazy parking lot where there is no 'right way' down any lane, and certainly no 'right of way'. Yuk. I get into the post office, after the lunch rush, and the line is out the door! So I count. There are 8 available counter-desks that could be occupied with clerks, yet only 3 people working. And working slowly. Of course. With 18 people in line, some with huge/many packages, I feared I'd be spending my entire lunch hour at the post office, and paying to park! Meanwhile I'm plugging my nose, as I have NO idea where the nasty unkempt man in front of me has been.

How frustrating - why does the post office have to be soooo annoying? It's not like it hasn't been around for ever and they haven't had time to work out the system. In heaven, we won't need postage and so we most certainly won't need the post office! Something to look forward to!
In the meantime, you better believe I'm going to get online and try to figure out usps.com and calculating postage, etc., and anything else I'd have to do to avoid the post office at all costs.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I HATE the Post Office!!!! I don't think I have ever had a good experience at ANY post office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate post offices too. I prefer going to "other" mail supply stores and I find the lines there for sending a package much smaller. Plus they are open after work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't your office have NeoPost? Maybe it is called something different in Utah. But, in our office, we have a nice little scale and a postage thingy...all you do is weigh the letter/package (not too big), set the postage for the exactly amount that the scale says, and run a sticker through the postage thingy...and whallah! Then, when we run low on paid postage in the thingy, I can just call an automated message service and add more money--easy as pie! You should look into that for your office.

    Do the people at you PO at least speak english? I told you that a girl I spoke to at the PO when I was sending Lindsey a package thought Guatemala was in California...that did not inspire confidence.

    ReplyDelete