4.03.2009

Portfolio


Finally it's over. The exhibit debuted yesterday and today is clean-up. For as much time I spent thinking about and working on this project, it's hard to believe that it's over just like that. Everything went surprisingly well. Nothing catastrophic happened, no casualties or terrible mishaps. I followed my checklist and got everything packed up and delivered in one piece.

Setting up was pretty easy. When I finally stepped back from it - the image I'd had in my mind for months was right there. It was great to envision something and then have it all come to fruition - even if I did have to have each piece made directly to specification. Even though it was much more stressful to have it that way (I didn't see the folding screen or table skirt until it was too late to produce a back-up), it was so much more rewarding to have it all come together. It's a confidence builder to see that the ideas in your mind actually turn out. Note: I didn't say all ideas, I'm taking it one step at a time.

I had a great time with the event - there many very elaborate displays and some really great displayed work. There was a Commercial category and a Residential category. Mine was residential - with emphasis on coastal, traditional, and French/antique styles. I chose to display six boards from a single-house project. I proposed six spaces to the pseudo client: Family room, Dining/Kitchen, Guest room, Master Suite, Study, and Courtyard. Using only boards from the same project made everything cohesive. Most of the other displays were on black backgrounds with dark accents - my boards/fabrics were lighter in color so I went in a different direction. Each board has a specific room layout and fabrics, furniture pieces, hard surface materials, light fixtures, etc.

with my display during the evening open house




Here is a close-up of my accent table with my portfolio book, business cards, and floral. This part of the display was my favorite. I picked up bunches of ivory and green flowers a day ahead and set it at home. I probably should have made sure my planter was watertight... it wasn't and I only realized it after I'd cut almost every stem and set it all in the oasis. Again, no time for a backup. Luckily after draining for a few hours it was safe. After I finished I set it in the fridge overnight to keep the blooms more fresh, and all night I had the strangest dreams that all the flowers were black and shriveled, or otherwise ruined. I woke up the next morning and went straight for the kitchen, where the flowers were fine. (these kinds of dreams have been happening for weeks!)

The book is full of pictures of my design boards, renderings, CADD work and other projects from school - and also has a section for projects I've completed so far in my career. It'll be a nice takeaway and is something I'll continue to add to.

I also set out calling cards - using the logo I've put on all my school work. Tessa contributed her ad/marketing expertise in layout and content (she is a professional, after all) and Jennifer @ PaperHearts made the final tweaks for printing. I'd trust no one else and she really pulled through with very little time to spare. Jennifer suggested an ivory shimmer paper with chocolate text - and I thought they turned out absolutely perfectly.



I'm glad to put that behind me. Even though it wasn't an official client project I'm really proud of what I accomplished. Being finished and having conference this weekend will be a perfect time to relax. Next Thursday is graduation. I'll post a couple pictures if my hair looks okay under that cap. ;)

9 comments:

  1. Way to go Laur! It all looks fabulous (as do you!). Those florals remind me a little bit of my wedding florals- I am a fan ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful! I can't wait to see more projects from
    Lauren S. Oviatt Design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all! Everything looks so great and you look gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been lucky enough to see the whole ensemble in real life, I must say that it was absolutely fabulous. I knew immediately which one was yours - it looked exactly like you! (And that's definitely a compliment!) Excellent work. I hope I can afford to hire you someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Lauren! Your display is so beautiful. And only two more days until graduation!!

    By the way, sorry about the bad dreams. I do the same thing if I am really stressed out. It's not very fun to dream about your beautiful flowers dying the night before something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty laur! im very impressed and also can't wait to see more from lauren s. oviatt design! so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, your stuff looks amazing!!! You must save it so I can see it someday. So cool. I'm really impressed and amazed. You've got some serious talent (which i already knew, but this is a whole new level of presenting it). Can't wait to see you in 11 days!!!!!!!! Love you, girl. Send me a biz card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything looks fabulous and i love your cards!!
    thanks by the way for turning me onto float papperie, we are using them for an upcoming party and they are soooo wonderful to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so gorgeous Lauren! It looked like a setup at market-- not someone just starting out. You have such amazing class and style. love loved it! and planning a wedding all in between?? you are amazing! I really am thinking you should do my florals now instead.

    ReplyDelete