4.03.2011

Post-Baby Swimwear

One of the most scary things on my mind right now is the impending first trip to the pool and the inevitable wardrobe shift. Don't get me wrong. I'm excited for warmer weather. And I can't wait to introduce Blair to the pool.  With the way she kicks she won't even need lessons.  I'm gathering 'resortwear' for her (too fun! can't help myself) and I can't wait to see her in her swimwear.  Me in swimwear? Different story.

I remember Audrey and Michelle (PC friends) telling me having a summer baby was actually a good thing because you had almost a year before you had to be back in a swimsuit.  They were right. But now that 'almost a year' is here,  am I feeling pool-ready? Not so much. I'm pretty much over the idea of ever wearing any of my bikinis again. (actually, I'm saving them for some exotic getaway with Ben where no one knows me or gets close) I joke about having a bikini bonfire.  I probably should have one.  I thought it would be a few pregnancies before I completely morphed into a different body. Am I completely off base here?

To paint a picture of what I'm experiencing - please see objects "A" and "B". We could do a little game where you try to guess which was 'before' and which was 'after' - but let's not.


That's me completely blocking Lindsey from the camera's reach, she's pregnant here as well, for the record. And don't even comment on what I'm wearing. I can't be held responsible for it. It was hotter than Hades that day and yet I found myself not wanting to completely terrify the poor, unsuspecting people near me. The reason I left the umbrella's shade was to give my swollen feet a rest.  And to think I was trying to strike a flattering pose here! Let's laugh, shall we? Please. Otherwise I'll cry.

 

Presently I'm just somewhere in the middle. Neither +60 lbs. nor frolicking carefree on sandy beaches. Which leads me to my poolside dilemma.  Will I look like a complete moron wearing my husbands t-shirts and basketball shorts to the pool? What about in the pool?  When Tessa was visiting last month we came across this bathing suit online and I fell in love.  Nearly bought it but then realized that it was probably much more cut in on the sides than it appeared. And I don't need my 'wobbly bits' (ala briget jones) hanging out. Not pretty. But I absolutely love the pattern. Don't you?





For a close second,  with twice the fabric and half the price tag, I ordered this one below. The color combo is even better in person. I like the way it has a bit of pattern to hide those mid-section woes but isn't too flashy.  The reviews said it ran big so I ordered a smaller size and we'll see if it works to my advantage or not. I could have used a bit more 'help' in the top portion of the suit but otherwise no complaints so far.




I still have this bathing suit from last year.  It sorta fits if you count being able to pull it on 'fitting'.



Anyway, welcome to my life. I am even more wardrobe challenged since having a baby. I struggle between wanting to dress fashionably for work and outings and needing to wear the comfortable pieces that chasing a baby requires! Not only am I a different size, but my shape is drastically different than it was before. Ben's grandmother summed it up nicely when she related what one of her friends said to her after having a baby. "I used to have an hourglass figure. Now, I still have an hourglass but all of the sand has gone to the bottom."

Any advice?  We are heading to SG in a few weeks for a mini vacay - I know that's not enough time for a total body transformation, but I'm open for suggestions for summer time.  Diet tips? Exercise advice? Fashion help? Anyone?

12 comments:

  1. oh man, i hear ya! i'm sure you look fabulous though.... me, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those suits are all great!

    drink only water, cut out all treats, work out. this week is boot camp for me-i'm doing all of the above plus cutting out dairy + carbs. basically i'll be eating only veggies and fruit + protein shakes.

    and a tan always helps so maybe you can get a head start on that?

    good luck. i'm sure you look fabulous as is but i know how much the post-baby body sucks (and it pretty much always will...even though you can get back to your pre-baby weight and be fit, etc., your body still never feels the same. at least for me. hope that wasn't too discouraging! maybe it's old age ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aughhhhhhhhhhh ive been meaning to post about this for ages. i am in the same dilemma... back to the same pre-baby weight but everything is shifted and not in the way i want it to be :( we can wear our husbands' tshirts poolside by granny this summer, how does that sound?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you are tiny I'm sure it is not scary at all.

    The thing on my body that has changed the most from babies is my chest- ugh! I cannot find a swimsuit with the proper lift and support in that area, that is still cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hilarious. Love the honesty. Man- Lauran, you should be so luck yhtta you were soooo smoking hot before!!!!!!! Advice? Let it go. Not your body....but the disappointment in yourselfr (I am speaking for myself) and try really hard to loe your body any way. And just do you know....the body pretty much gets worse with each baby. More stretch marks, mor sagginess, etc. etc. Not to scare you or anything, but just be prepared! After baby number one I was still kind of hot. Now I am working on baby four and have come to the comclusion that I am soooo entitled to one surgery per child after all this child bearing is over with!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry....should've edited that...you get the drift

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, bite me. the fact that you can even post a before bikini shot like that makes me want to yak...in the most loving way. ;) love you. I have exactly 6ish weeks until my first post-baby beach trip (and 5 more weeks until I am cleared to exercise for real) and am dreading what my bathing suits will look like on me. that striped suit is so cute! wanna be twins? "it's just what we are anyway"

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i hear ya! although i am sure you look a million times better than you are giving yourself credit for. i still have another 10 lbs or so to go to get back on track, and it is almost all in my waist/hips and arms. i will say that my legs and butt still look pretty good though ;) it's so frustrating though when my pre-preg jeans fit nicely in the legs and butt, but then they are totally digging into my waist, and not comfy at all. i hate it.

    oh well. i am gearing up for some races this summer and in the fall. i find races work best to get me exercising consistently, especially if i am paying for it... don't want to waste money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl just rock the bikini! That picture of you and Ben you look smokin and I'm sure you look pretty much the exact same just "improved" as I like to call it. Positive thinking right.
    And that scalloped swimsuit...amazing...i love it
    I have been meaning to respond forever to your last comment. Tell Ben thanks for the tip on Sassy Baby (ha ha) they were all sold out, and it was hilarious you suggested Park Cafe cause I worked there for like 4 years. All through highschool as a busser/servant! ha ha. I know that place too well...I love it though! Maybe we will have to do a girls breakfast there sometime (with Mase of course) when the weather gets nicer!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. lauren your comment was AMAZING!!! thank you so much for all the advice I will be sure to use it ALL tomorrow! you are the bEST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just saw these swim suits, and I think you might want to look at them
    http://shabbyapple.com/c-89-Amalfi-coast.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having read this post, post SG trip totally made me laugh. You looked great! I know, I know - the bod is never the same - but you really did look great. I loved sitting pool side and chatting with you, but didn't love that you looked so great and my #4 is making me feel so fat, so much already!!! Not to mention that your fake tan was better;) Loved being with you - and BTW loved the segment - maybe I'll go downstairs and pull all my silver frames out of the storage room!

    ReplyDelete