8.08.2006

I outsmarted the system

So I'm logging on with another mindless blog - but it's this week's excitement, and I simply have to share. For about a year now, I've been looking for the perfect flatware. (forks, spoons, kinves, etc - place settings)
Being the queen of "e-window shopping" - I would argue that I reached the end of the web in the lengths of my search. My requirements: 18/10 stainless steel, forged, 16 settings, heavy-weight and anything but retro-modern. Oh, and my budget was considerably low. I'd done my homework, searched high and low, and would even open boxes and feel the pieces I found locally, Costco, Targ, Meier and Frank, Potterybarn ($$$).
"What exactly am I looking for?" was the question I kept asking.
Well, one day, I found a fabulous set. Heavy weight, beautiful lines, good scale, unique, with the perfect classic style and even feminine hints.

One small problem.
It was online at Williams-Sonoma.com, and at $38 for 1 place setting. I wanted 16. Do the math - no wait, DON'T do the math... ahh! $608 and all my dreams would come true? I don't think so.
So I continued to browse. Every site I could google - from the online powerhouses like overstock.com and smartbargains.com, down to the hole-in-the-wall shops (if you will).
And low and behold - I found the EXACT Williams-Sonomie "exclusively ours" pattern for a steal! Instead of $38 per setting, I paid $14! Sight-unseen, I signed-in and checked-out, my fingers crossed the whole time. (I even got free shipping! what?!)
So now, after waiting patiently, the Retroneau Laurel pieces are safely in my kitchen. They are a perfect size, a perfect weight (so important! absolutley hate flimsy tin flatware), stunning in person, and unique.

(the same - the same I tell you! amazing!)


Thus proves these age-old proverbs, if I may quote a few... "thing things worth having a worth waiting/working hard for"... and... "it pays to shop around!"

Now to find the perfect drawer/storage/utensil divider/organizer.......

1 comment:

  1. I knew this day would finally come! I have been there with you for the journey and I'm so glad that the long hours you have put into this endeavor have finally paid off! Congratulations! You are the proud owner of flatwear!

    ReplyDelete