Well, actually, it's not crunch time. It's way past crunch time. Final Portfolio events start tomorrow. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I had any clue what the other 48 people were bringing to display. I've had eight monts to worry about it. Back and forth with two arguments-
1. "I don't want to go all out and be some kind of science fair nerd whose dad built his volcano"
2. and, "What if mine is so minimal and lame that everyone thinks I am some kind of procrastinating, low-talent loser?"
No one has talked about their set-up for fear that they'll be copied. I wouldn't either. How horrible would that be? But our instructor has this 'meadow' metaphor where our imagination is our only limit. Basically, no guidlines with exception of a space limitation on the floor.
It's not only a three-day public exhibit, but a grade (capstone), a judged competition and a big shot at exposure to the design community in Salt Lake.
For the past six weeks I've had very strange symptoms; random nervousness and butterflies at the slightest thought of any part of the event. Similar to the jitters I (you?) got in junior high when your crush walks by you and you're not sure what to say... or speak at all in my case. I've also had insomnia and crazy dreams involving various portfolio catastrophes. I will be glad when those end.
Like any good event planner, I am complete with a 'day-of' checklist, for packing the car, and an emergency kit which includes but is not limited to the following items: tape pen, can of compressed air, lint brush, tweezers, etc. (all methods of removing tiny pieces of lint and stubborn glue from design boards and display without using my dirty fingers).
I've had my eye out for a picture to match the concept in my mind for a floral arrangement I want to make to sit beside my display tomorrow. I found the picture above yesterday in the recent issue of Southern Accents. Just in time. Looking at it calms me.
Tonight I'll be ironing tablecloths, wrapping up boards oh-so carefully, checking off the list and hopefully sleeping a bit. Wish me luck and check back for the next post. It will either be a happy success or a gripping story of the worst days of my life. (expect the worst and then you'll be pleased with anything, right?)
Be the nerdy science kid that goes all out! Good luck, you'll do great. Take pics of your display so we can all see your work!
ReplyDeleteooo, good luck! i want all the juicy details and lots of pictures of what it looked like. i'm sure it will be fab...everything with you is fab lauren :)
ReplyDeletegood luck dear! can't wait to hear how it goes. undoubtedly you'll do a FABULOUS job. you are lauren, you know.
ReplyDelete