
Today I saw an Amaryllis display. All of the plants were just days from opening. How exciting! There is something so thrilling about watching bulbs grow and blooms open before your eyes - maybe it's that nurturing motherly thing. You become a proud parent as it blossoms!
In years past I've grown Paperwhites - they are so easy to babysit and bloom relatively quickly. They're so pretty but their fragrance is too strong for some people. I hear that Amaryllis need to be planted around Halloween to bloom in time for Christmas. No harm in planting later though I say - who doesn't need happy flowers in dreary January & February?

One year my Granny's good friend sent her a beautiful painted ceramic planter with amaryllis bulbs within. I still remember how beautiful they became even though it was probably ten years ago.
I'd love a big coffee table arrangement with multiple bulbs growing at the same time, en masse. A low, cream ceramic planter or rusted urn. A little reindeer moss over the soil and some twigs for support and texture- perfection. I love all the different varieties of Amaryllis - they are all spectacular in their own way.
I found some helpful tips and links on marthastewart.com - click here or here to see them. And, I found an online source that ships all kinds of varities - although they are readily available at local nurseries this time of year.

No comments:
Post a Comment