12.03.2009

25 Days: Day 3 Oranges & Orson Gygi

Today I went in search of whole cloves, oranges and star anise - for a project like those pictured here. Star Anise is very hard to find locally. My inventive and informed colleague Derek said I might find them at Orson Gygi. What? What is that? I called them, they had it. It is located in the design district in Salt Lake (35oo s. 300 w.) and is both a culinary arts center and a large store that I'd describe as a mix between Sur La Table and Costco. Of course I was totally overwhelmed but I think Taryn and Mom would have had a ball there.


5 comments:

  1. I bought some of my wedding favor candies at Orson Gygi. It is fun there.

    When we were little we always gave our teachers oranges with cloves in them at Christmas. Fun walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gygi is my go-to for cake pops and stuff. LOVE it! and they carry TAG, which is rather hard to locate around here.

    i totally forgot about the orange & clove pomanders. i'm going to have to make some-we used to make them every christmas as kids. they smell sooooo good. my mom also used to create this yummy mixture to simmer on the stove over the holidays-i'll have to get the "recipe" from her. thanks for the reminders and for holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always make a clove orange for the holidays, and I didn't even think to make designs! Sophie will be so excited to try something with more flair next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this one year in college, and it made our apt smell so lovely! I never thought about the designs though - that would make them look so nice. I think mine looked more like weapons or something. Will have to try that this year. Keep up with these posts! It's getting me excited to get festive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would love to go to Orson Gygi (do we say "zhee zhee"?)
    Taryn, I know you are in, too, the only question is - when?

    ReplyDelete